Since my computer ate my original blog post I thought I’d share random life events with you until I can recreate my original post. So, I’ve been trying to get some select family members to move out to Washington.
Wait. I should back up. In case you didn’t know, I’m a transplant. I grew up in the Hall of Fame City in Ohio. Spent the first 23 years of my life there, until one day I decided I didn’t like it anymore so I was moving far, far away. 2,500 miles away to the state of Washington and a little city known by the name of Olympia. I had visited once and decided that it was as good a spot as any to begin anew. Plus there was The Boy I thought deserved further investigation.
So six years later, I’m still here enjoying my life. I’ve also been trying very hard to get some of my most cherished loved ones out here as well. To that end I send them pictures, tell them how awesome it is, and also send them links for potential jobs. Well right now, Ohio is dealing with a heat wave that is making it, from what I’m told, rather unbearable. So when a local news station posted a picture of our delightful forecast, I decided to share it with my sister and inform her that this was reason #56 of why she needed to move.
She then responded that she was already sold with moving, but was waiting on my brother to come around. She also questioned me as to what reasons #1-55 were. So here I present 55 reasons (more tailored to my sister moving to Olympia) to move to Washington.
- Family should be close
- I’d like to get to know my nephews better.
- Washington has awesome sushi
- Washington also makes some pretty darn good wines
- Washington sushi & Washington wine make an awesome dinner
- Washington public transportation is way less scary than Ohio’s
- Olympia is set right at the base of Puget Sound in the shadow of the mountains, and is therefore a spectacular sight
- Olympia is less than two hours away from the ocean
- Olympia is less than two hours away from the mountains
- Olympia is less than two hours from Seattle
- Olympia is less than three hours from Portland
- Less sun-burning occurs in Washington
- Washington is more environmentally conscious than Ohio
- We have Jimi Hendrix. No really, he’s buried here.
- We had Nirvana
- We have the Space Needle
- We have a very prominent art scene
- We have three local coffee roasters just in Olympia
- We have tea shops out the yin-yang
- We have an awesome farmers market that runs more than just on Saturday
- I miss you
- Fresh salmon
- Good, local butchers with good pricing
- The local, organic produce available is bountiful & affordable
- You can have your local organic produce delivered to your door.
- Orca whales regularly visit Washington.
- From Washington, British Columbia, Canada can be a weekend trip without having to deal with New York
- Seattle Art Museum
- Experience Music Project
- Hands-On Children’s Museum
- Batdorf & Bronson Tasting Room- oh yes, taste delicious coffee
- Pike Place Market
- Mt Rainier state parks
- Ginkgo Petrified Forest State Park
- Tumwater Falls & old Olympia Brewery
- Gravity Beer Market
- Swing Wine Bar
- Bonjour Cupcakes
- Teatro ZinZanni
- Because I said it’s awesome
- We get snow in Olympia for maybe one week out of the year
- There has been one tornado, in Tenino, that I am aware of in the past 10 years
- Washington is more accepting of GBLT, and even has outreach programs for children
- The Paramount in Seattle
- Snowboarding & skiing
- Because Ohio’s rivers catch on fire
- Our trees stay green all year
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
- Bite of Seattle
- Lake Faire
- Arts walk, both in Olympia & Seattle
- Theo Chocolates
- Pacific Science Center
- Because I’m awesome & I said so
Hope you have a fabulous Monday, and I’ll see you soon.